Hybrid cars/batteries

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hybrid cars/batteries

Postby MichaelB » 13 Nov 2018, 12:36

Looking at buying a hybrid car for the missus but am unsure on the battery technology in cold temperatures. I know that I have to be careful charging my LiFeP04 below 10º is this the same for cars? It might be difficult where we are when the temperature never gets above 10º for 3 months of the year. It'll be a Toyota CHR or Mini Countryman hybrid.
MichaelB

Re: Hybrid cars/batteries

Postby Burgerman » 13 Nov 2018, 13:59

Not sure. But I must say I cant see any advantage of a hybrid over say a small VW deisel. They cost more to buy, run, and have no advantages. Enlighten me.

Now a tesla or something, thats different. I would buy.

Of the 2 the toyota is the worst. The mini is the best, and quite high tech and cheapest to run, but it still only has a 7kwh battery. My BM3 has 3.24kwh!

A diesel golf for eg is cheaper, and will do as many to the gallon as either of these. If not more in real world driving.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Hybrid cars/batteries

Postby MichaelB » 13 Nov 2018, 18:24

She currently has a Mini Diesel and had a 25 mile each way commute, about to swap to a different job with much more door to door stop/start as well as that needs something bigger boot/inside. Mini D is good for her longer commute but fewer miles/around town a hybrid seems more suitable. Price of small diesels are dropping, could run her Mini until it dies but I don't want her breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Tried both but she prefers the Toyota, weird as she has had Mini coupes for years. Local Toyota dealer is excellent, family run and nothing is ever a problem and only a few miles from us, Mini dealer 25 miles away and reasonable service but not comparable to the Toyota dealer. 4 wheel drive on Countryman would be handy in winter but she manages fine with a swap to winter wheels and tyres in her mini.

It is not essential to swap she could manage with the Mini, it is more me looking at options and wanting to change rather than needing to change.
MichaelB

Return to Anything