Trying to run windows on a mac fail!

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Trying to run windows on a mac fail!

Postby Scooterman » 28 Oct 2018, 22:55

steves1977uk wrote:Pro gives you more control of the OS, like you can delay updates for 30 days etc... The W10 digital activation on Pro can be HWID activated or KMS activated. HWID gives you a permanent license tied to the Mac's motherboard, so if you did a wipe and re-install, it'd be activated as soon as it connect to the internet.

Steve

Thank you I’ll have go tomorrow :thumbup:

Burgerman wrote:Yes

:thumbup:
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 29 Oct 2018, 09:09

Stuck again!

I've installed W10 Pro and clicked the activate later option during installation.

Using Mac OS I downloaded the 3 linked files to my USB stick.

But I've only been able to extract 2 of them.

RE Windows Activation file: I deleted .dmg and renamed it .zip

But Mac keeps on extracting it as a .zip.cpgz file?
Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 07.24.13.png
Mac OS

So I tried downloaded the Activation file with W10.
IMG_1670.jpeg
W10 Pro

PS Ignore file marked Steve.

PPS I'm sorry I'm a bit of a dummy, perhaps it's a bit above me? hanged

EDIT: When I tried to extract it in windows it told me there was nothing in the folder. But I must have done something wrong?
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby steves1977uk » 29 Oct 2018, 11:07

You need to take Win10 out of dummy mode! download/file.php?id=8890 Unzip and double click the "Show hidden files and folders.reg", and reboot.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Scooterman » 29 Oct 2018, 11:16

steves1977uk wrote:You need to take Win10 out of dummy mode! download/file.php?id=8890 Unzip and double click the "Show hidden files and folders.reg", and reboot.

Steve

Cheers I shall try that :thumbup:
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 29 Oct 2018, 12:33

steves1977uk wrote:You need to take Win10 out of dummy mode! download/file.php?id=8890 Unzip and double click the "Show hidden files and folders.reg", and reboot.

Steve

Hi, another fail I'm afraid :(
IMG_1671.jpeg
IMG_1672.jpeg

I think computers and programming, etc is probably a bit above me. For someone of my ability I'm probably better sticking with lead acid and standard programming.

But I have got a 120Amp r-net that I bought secondhand some time ago but have never fitted because it's not for my chair. Seeing as I've already bought it would it be possible for me to post it to you and book and pay for a courier to pick it up? You might not be able to do anything with it, I do understand. But if you can't or would rather me not post it to you that's fine I'll stick it back on eBay
IMG_1673.jpeg
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2018, 13:01

I think computers and programming, etc is probably a bit above me. For someone of my ability I'm probably better sticking with lead acid and standard programming.

The problem is that while thats easy, you end up in the same boat as the masses of normal's in society. With an unsteerable chair that makes every day a nightmare that needs new batteries every few months, with stupidly slow charge times and sod all range.

So as usual, knowledge is power. But isn't always easy to acquire. But theres no other alternative. :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 29 Oct 2018, 13:30

Disable smartscreen too! :cussing

Steve
Attachments
SmartScreen.zip
(676 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 29 Oct 2018, 13:40

The problem is that we have to assume some computer literacy. At least the basics of how to kick it into shape and make it useful. The problem we have is that we are dealing with a mac user! So he is overwhelmed! Sometimes its hard to help. Too much to learn.

After installing windows, it takes me at least 2 weeks of fiddling about and changing stuff, before its properly usable. And thats if you DO understand what you are doing. So what chance does the average user stand? This is why I usually recommend 7 instead, I can sort that out in just 7 days! So its pure, does as its supposed to do ONLY, and is working for me properly. But its more difficult for an average user to install, and get for free... And it boots a little slower. But its already got no bullshit metro apps and no phone home or advertising garbage etc. Even today, I have it as a 2nd boot disk.

You actually dont need all these patches and downloads in 10 by the way. All the options you need are in the PRO version or the business versions if you just open an elevated dos box and type gpedit.msc and set all these choices yourself. And stop all the logging, and hundreds of other options. And stop the trace logs by using the performance and logging options in Computer Management, performance, Data collector sets. And uninstall all the metro apps and bundled freebies.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » 05 Nov 2018, 17:42

Does the device you want to connect to have an RS232 connection? If so and you use a USB/RS232 adaptor you might have a problem. You will need to make sure that the adaptor works on a Mac, not all do. I had a problem connecting to a Dynamic Controls DX system and am certain that the adaptor was the problem. Stuck in bed with a pressure sore so can't get out to my garage to test one that claims it is compatible.

Relatively cheap and legal copies of Win 10 can be found here https://www.softwareguys.co.uk/ I've got a copy running in Parallels Desktop on my mac, switching from Mac to Windows with a couple of clicks.
MichaelB

Postby Scooterman » 06 Nov 2018, 12:48

MichaelB wrote:Does the device you want to connect to have an RS232 connection? If so and you use a USB/RS232 adaptor you might have a problem. You will need to make sure that the adaptor works on a Mac, not all do. I had a problem connecting to a Dynamic Controls DX system and am certain that the adaptor was the problem. Stuck in bed with a pressure sore so can't get out to my garage to test one that claims it is compatible.

Relatively cheap and legal copies of Win 10 can be found here https://www.softwareguys.co.uk/ I've got a copy running in Parallels Desktop on my mac, switching from Mac to Windows with a couple of clicks.

Hi thank you for trying to help. I've managed to get windows 10 running via bootcamp. Someone on WD kindly gave me a product key.
I've haven't got the activation key, but I read online that doesn't really matter, as MS don't worry too much about it nowadays?
W10 pro is running fine on my Mac and I can now change the settings of my scooter's S-Drive controller using Woodys dongle and the PGDT software.
Bootcamp is fine for me, I only use Windows for my mob equipment programming, s-drive and hopefully a PL8 I'll soon be getting and r-net dongle.
My mac has an SDD so it doesn't take long to boot between the two OS.
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 06 Nov 2018, 16:55

You could just remove the one that is useless and wont run anything... :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 06 Nov 2018, 17:07

Burgerman wrote:You could just remove the one that is useless and wont run anything... :clap

I like my Mac just the way it is thank you very much! :fencing

:D
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby MichaelB » 06 Nov 2018, 18:02

Scooterman wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Does the device you want to connect to have an RS232 connection? If so and you use a USB/RS232 adaptor you might have a problem. You will need to make sure that the adaptor works on a Mac, not all do. I had a problem connecting to a Dynamic Controls DX system and am certain that the adaptor was the problem. Stuck in bed with a pressure sore so can't get out to my garage to test one that claims it is compatible.

Hi thank you for trying to help. I've managed to get windows 10 running via bootcamp. Someone on WD kindly gave me a product key.
I've haven't got the activation key, but I read online that doesn't really matter, as MS don't worry too much about it nowadays?
W10 pro is running fine on my Mac and I can now change the settings of my scooter's S-Drive controller using Woodys dongle and the PGDT software.
Bootcamp is fine for me, I only use Windows for my mob equipment programming, s-drive and hopefully a PL8 I'll soon be getting and r-net dongle.
My mac has an SDD so it doesn't take long to boot between the two OS.

Bootcamp works fine I just use Parallels for the ease of sharing files and copy pasting mac/windows. Like you Windows tends to be used where there is no Mac software, after 25 years as a Mac user I would find it difficult to switch especially with the technology that I use to compensate for an inability to use my hands. I've always managed to find ways for the Mac to run Windows and talk to other devices, just hoping that the RS232 adaptor is the problem connecting to the DX.
MichaelB

Postby Scooterman » 06 Nov 2018, 18:33

Thank you
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Previous

Return to Anything