These are very impressive...

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

These are very impressive...

Postby Scooterman » 16 Oct 2018, 17:02

and expensive I would imagine...?

https://youtu.be/ae3ju4rEGgQ
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Re: These are very impressive...

Postby Burgerman » 16 Oct 2018, 19:45

I have a few turbojet motors. They are now becoming so common that around half my local flying field are now jets, and even a turbine helicopter now and again. Cost? Lets say a all singing all dancing powerchair is about the same cost as one of the jets in your vid. And a hell of a lot of work.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 17 Oct 2018, 09:43

Burgerman wrote:I have a few turbojet motors. They are now becoming so common that around half my local flying field are now jets, and even a turbine helicopter now and again. Cost? Lets say a all singing all dancing powerchair is about the same cost as one of the jets in your vid. And a hell of a lot of work.

I suppose if it's someone's hobby and they have the time and money, then it's okay. And you must learn a lot building/maintaining them.

For yourself what came first: RC aircraft or powerchairs? There must be a lot of crossover in knowledge between the two.
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 17 Oct 2018, 11:59

RC aircraft from about 10 years old or before. Although it was control line and free flight early on. Thousands of home designs, and tons of experiments! I was also building pulse jet engines and my own turbojets using turbocharger parts etc long before you could buy these things over the counter. So every time I see an "expert" that is new to this hobby that just bought everything I despair!

i BUILT RC systems from kits in the 70s. I scratch built planes from 69 till today. I scratch built pulse jets from the early 80 and 90s and built turbojets from scratch in the early 90s. Along with a lot of experimental superfast planes. Scale stuff never interested me. Then in the 90s, til today batteries, electric power etc. Along with drag racing, race engines for bikes with turbos, fuel injection systems, rolling roads for mapping and graphing the power systems, nitrous injection systems, (all home built systems) etc etc. Too much tech stuff to list. But its all related.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 17 Oct 2018, 17:47

Burgerman wrote:RC aircraft from about 10 years old or before. Although it was control line and free flight early on. Thousands of home designs, and tons of experiments! I was also building pulse jet engines and my own turbojets using turbocharger parts etc long before you could buy these things over the counter. So every time I see an "expert" that is new to this hobby that just bought everything I despair!

i BUILT RC systems from kits in the 70s. I scratch built planes from 69 till today. I scratch built pulse jets from the early 80 and 90s and built turbojets from scratch in the early 90s. Along with a lot of experimental superfast planes. Scale stuff never interested me. Then in the 90s, til today batteries, electric power etc. Along with drag racing, race engines for bikes with turbos, fuel injection systems, rolling roads for mapping and graphing the power systems, nitrous injection systems, (all home built systems) etc etc. Too much tech stuff to list. But its all related.

Wow! What you've done is way above my tech level. I did a 4yr C&G EITB electrical apprenticeship. It was a good apprenticeship and taught me all I needed to know regarding electrical installation, electrical theory, IEE wiring regs etc. But nowhere near your technical level. I haven't the intelligence.

My older cousin who would be about the same age as yourself also used to fly control line planes back in the '70s. He had one or two which were no more than a flying wing with a motor. He also had a (what seemed big to me at the time) a control line flying boat.

I had a few balsa wood gliders I built myself, they were great fun! I was always repairing them with net curtain and wall paper paste? And kites, I used to make them out of split bamboo and a plastic bin liner. I never kids today doing anything that we used to do. They wouldn't even know what a bolt bomb was, we used to make a few of them too!
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 17 Oct 2018, 18:00

EDIT: In case anyone else reads this, a bolt bomb is two bolts joined in the middle by a nut that acts as the combustion chamber. You scrape off match heads into the chamber, gingerly tighten the bolts, tie a bit of string between the bolts (so you don't lose them) and chuck it up in the air hoping it'll land on one of the bolt heads.

It's not a terrorist's pipe bomb
Cats 'R' Cool
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 17 Oct 2018, 20:12

We used to do the same thing - sort of. Buy a 3 inch threaded cast iron "nipple" and 2 screw on threaded cap ends.

Fill with shot gun cartridge powder. And fit with a fuse wire "fuse" and leave two wires hanging out. Set off electrically. (extension lead and your cars battery). Dont be anywhere near it. Make sure you grease threads, as spark or trapped powder might be a bad thing. And connect caps and nipple to each other with a wire to be sure no spark from static! We did them in a field in the rain. Throws earth as a cloud as high as you can see, and is very loud. Theres never any bits of iron left to find. Just a bigger hole. This was before the days of terrorism. Doing so today, would likely see you arrested for some terrorist activity. We just did it for fun. And relatively safely.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything